Monday, April 26, 2010

"I was frump girl..."

"I was frump girl, until now." This is one of my all-time favorite movie lines from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." I relate on many levels to the character of Toula. I am also frump girl, but I don't want to be frumpy anymore.

But what is the first step of change when there is so much change to be made? It's overwhelming enough that I tend to think about it, get kind of motivated, start making lists of all the things I need to do...then get tired and settle down for a snack. And another day passes with nothing really happening. But I'm hoping that this blog will give me a place to vent my frustrations, celebrate successes, and be accountable to someone besides myself.

I have a long list of reasons to change. My weight is putting me at risk for a lovely variety of health issues...pre-diabetes that could quite easily lead to diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol. My energy level is pretty much zero at this point...which makes it tough to keep up with my wild little 7 year old son. I hate shopping for clothes because nothing fits well, and let's face it, plus size clothing just doesn't cut it most of the time. Much of the frumpiness has developed because I don't want to buy new clothes, so I wear the same thing pretty much every day...varied only by color. (If I find a shirt that fits I just buy a few in different colors). My black stretchy pants with the elastic waist are super-comfy, but maybe not so cute. I'm tired of being fat, tired, and having very little confidence in myself. It's time for a change.

There are a few weight-loss, healthy lifestyle blogs that I follow, and I'm hoping that by starting one of my own I'll learn to write through my feelings instead of stuffing them down with food. That is my plan...my hope. So here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment